Mr. William Whipple Hull, a former miner turned brickmaker, purchased 40 acres of land from Senator Phelps in 1858. He constructed kilns and made bricks for his brickyard in San Francisco. (Bricks from San Carlos were used in many important buildings of the day, such as Fort Mason and San Quentin Prison.) With these bricks he built the original Palace Hotel, San Francisco’s first post office and part of that city’s Ferry Building. He had four children. Two of them, Guy and Asa, started a dairy on part of the land and when Guy went to work for the Southern Pacific Railroad, Asa took over the running of the dairy. We will follow the history of Asa as it is more involved with our city’s history.
PHOTO: Engraved illustration of the original Palace Hotel in San Francisco, CA, 1887, from “Historical Souvenir of San Francisco, Cal.” published by C.P. Heninger, San Francisco