The third and last attempt to form our city came in 1917 when Mercantile Trust placed 100 acres of foreclosed real estate (located in San Carlos) in the hands of Mr. Fred Drake, subject to their deed of trust. He finished the reservoir started by Mr. Woosley, paved the streets, formed the Sanitary District and installed gas and electricity. He helped to get homes built and later was a prime mover in getting the School District formed and the City of San Carlos incorporated. Mr. Drake became fondly known as the “Father of San Carlos”. He also coined the San Carlos City slogan “The City of Good Living”.

PHOTO: The old office building of Frederick Drake, courtesy of Drake’s Restaurant.

×

Hello!

Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

×