In 1923, a volunteer fire department was formed using a fire truck composed of a white taxicab chassis with a chemical truck body donated by the San Francisco Fire Department. So successful were the fundraising card parties and dinners given by the volunteers and their wives that a firehouse was erected in the same year! Before this time, a hay wagon and wet gunny sacks drawn by Asa Hull’s horses were how they fought fires in San Carlos.
In 1925 Police Chief Ed Wheeler doubled as the Fire Chief. In 1979, the City of San Carlos and the Belmont Fire Protection District entered into a Joint Powers Agreement, which created the South County Fire Authority. More recently, the City of San Carlos joined with the City of Redwood City to provide fire services to the community.
PHOTO: The first Fire Department, from the San Carlos Museum