The first American to own land in San Carlos was Timothy Guy Phelps, a mercantile merchant in San Francisco. He purchased 200 acres from Dona Maria (through Mezes). This included the adobe owned by Maria. He lived in this adobe until he built a board and batten house next to it. He later purchased up to 3,500 acres of San Carlos land, (on which he raised cattle that were shipped to San Francisco by barge). (Phelps became the first president of the Southern Pacific Railroad). He became our first State Senator, first Congressman (in the 1860’s), Assemblyman, was our first homeowner, first commuter and first public citizen. (and an early Regent of the University of California at Berkeley. Later he was appointed Collector of Customs in San Francisco.) He later built a mansion on Old County Road and Holly (where 7-11 Store is now). Only 1 palm tree remains of his estate.
Mr. Andrew Julius Johnson from Denmark, employed by Mr. Phelps as foreman, per Phelps instruction, planted the eucalypti that now grace San Carlos Avenue near Cordilleras in 1892.
PHOTO: Timothy Guy Phelps, published 1892