Together with these industrial complexes being formed, other commercial businesses were being built around San Carlos Ave. and El Camino Real. In the late 1880’s San Carlos Ave. was known as Cypress Ave. Mr. Phelps’ farm and mansion surrounded the SP Depot. On the north side of San Carlos Ave. (first block) stood Merta’s Butcher Shop (now San Carlos Liquors), the Windmill Restaurant (now Patio Bar), Conklin’s Mobil Gas Station and grocery store (now a gas station). On the south side of the first block stood Mr. Drake’s building, a barber shop, a butcher shop (now 1139 Slub). In the second block to the north were the N.T. Smith’s home, a Bank of America building, Allen’s Grocery Store and the Carlos Theatre. These sites are now occupied by Eureka Federal Savings (built 1979).

In the second block to the south stood the McDonald home. This site is now occupied, by Laurel Drug, The Added Touch, Norma’s Jewelers, Ed’s Smoke Shop and Tiernan’s Opticians. Along El Camino Real there was also commercial development. We should remember that Old County Road was then known as El Camino Real and what we know today as El Camino Real was then called Maple Street (changed in 1915).

Across from the depot on El Camino Real, south of San Carlos Avenue was Mrs. Tate’s Tea Room (now the Carlos Clubhand Munday’s (now the Hair Hunters). On the north was Martin’s Lumberyard and the Hull Brickyard. On the east was the San Carlos Flying Field, San Carlos Feed and Fuel and the San Francisco Speedway.

×

Hello!

Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

×