Between 1888 and 1914 the San Carlos Land Company was formed with the main promoter being Capt. N.T. Smith (Treasurer of Southern Pacific Railroad). He was a long time friend of Leland Stanford. The San Carlos Land Company purchased 173.20 acres of land from Senator Phelps and tried to subdivide this property. There was a map of the town at this time which called the lands “Lomi-tas”. Streets were graded and sewers were completed. In 1895 there were less than 50 people in San Carlos.

PHOTO: Parcel divide of the Phelps Estate as of 1917. Phelps’ sales were largely unsuccessful, and he eventually sold much of his land to Nicholas T. Smith’s San Carlos Land Development Company. 1917

×

Hello!

Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

×