After Don Luis’ death, Dona Maria returned to San Carlos, built another casa in 1839 (next to her old one) where she lived until 1854. She died in 1874. The lands of Don Luis were regranted to her in 1835. Upon her return from Monterey, there were squatters, etc. on the rancho lands. She sent for Mr. S.M. Mezes (attorney), who, by her, request, subdivided the lands for purchase. For this good work, Mr. Mezes received 15% of the property (which included Redwood City and parts of San Carlos).

PHOTO: Diseños of land grant for the Rancho De Las Pulgas, circa 1840, from San Mateo County Historical Museum

×

Hello!

Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

×